Piergabriele Mancuso (Venice, 1975) obtained his doctorate in Jewish studies from University College London, 2009. He also studied at Oxford (Oxford Center for Hebrew and Jewish Studies) as a PhD student (2004) and at the Warburg Institute, London (Sophie Fellowship Programme, 2006). He is a lecturer in music history and Venetian history at Boston University Study Abroad (Padua) and was a visiting lecturer at the University of Kentucy (College of Fine Arts), University “ Cà Foscari”, Venice (Department of Oriental Languages), at the Università dell’Insubria in Como and at the University of Padua.
In 2001 he graduated in music (viola) and since 1997 he has been an active member of Laboratorio Novamusica, a contemporary music ensemble based in Venice. His research interests include Jewish music in early modern Italy and Jewish ethnomusicology, medieval Italian Jewry, Venetian history, and the history of the Jews of Venice. He is a member of several academic associations (AJS, EAJS, AISG, RSA, Viola d’Amore Society, etc…) and was a member of the board of directors of the Centro Veneziano di Studi Ebraici Internazionali (Venice Center for International Jewish Studies), Venice. In June 2013 he was appointed Director of the Eugene Grant Research Program on Jewish History and Culture in Early Modern Europe at the Medici Archive Project, Florence. In 2017, he launched the Ghetto Mapping Project, a major research program aimed at reconstructing from archival documents the architectural, demographic and nevertheless artistic and cultural characteristics of the Florence ghetto (1570-1888).
In 2018 he published a book on the musical traditions of the Jews of Venice, Musiche della tradizione ebraica a Venezia – Le registrazioni di Leo Levi (1954-1959) [The musical traditions of the Jews of Venice – The recordings of Leo Levi (1954 )-1959)], Squilibri Editore, Rome. He was recently a Fellow of the Oxford Center for Hebrew and Jewish Studies (Fall/Michaelmas Term 2020). He is the scientific coordinator of the Jewish music study group at the Fondazione Levi, Venice